PRINCIPAL OFFICE: DALLAS, TEXAS: (214) 670-9989 | TOLL FREE: (866) 670-9989

A Police Officer in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Allegedly Shot and Killed a Man Who Was Trying to Set Himself on Fire

Arlington police car
(Photo: Labeled for reuse)

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, police with the Oklahoma City Police Department were called to a scene where a man was said to be suicidal. At the scene, according to Capt. Bo Mathews, 29-year-old Dustin Pigeon had soaked himself in lighter fluid and was attempting to set himself on fire when police arrived. One officer shot Pigeon with a bean bag gun, but it had no effect. A second officer allegedly shot Pigeon, killing him.

Both of the police officers at the scene have been placed on paid leave. This is standard procedure after police-involved shootings.

This incident is reminiscent of another that occurred in Arlington, Texas, on July 10, 2017. Gabriel Olivas had doused himself with gasoline, threatening to set himself on fire. Officers with the Arlington Police Department were called to the scene. When police arrived, Olivas was saturated in gasoline and holding a lighter. A police officer at the scene said Olivas began to be frantic. One of the officers deployed their stun gun in order to try to subdue him. As soon as Olivas was shot with the Taser, he burst into flames. Blankets were used by the officers to put out the flames, and Olivas was pulled to safety through a window of the house. The house practically burned down as a result of the incident. Three officers suffered from smoke inhalation and received medical treatment at a local hospital. According to the family shortly after the incident, Olivas suffered burns on over 80% of his body and was in critical condition. He died four days later.

As with every post on this website, we are only providing information in this post and do not make any allegation or assertion that anyone acted inappropriately or engaged in misconduct.

–Guest Contributor

author avatar